Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Summer experiment

This summer I decided that I would throw myself into the kitchen and try 3 new recipes a week. I never loved cooking, just did it out of necessity. Now that I'm a stay at home mom, I have time to plan, prepare, and create meals. Turns out i really like cooking... and eating good food that came from my kitchen! My poor neighbors graciously came over to try my experiments every week. Devin was incredibly patient with me- never knowing if dinner was going to be delectable or a disaster. I learned a few things in the trenches:
1. When cooking from the ward cookbook, don't judge the quality of a recipe by how much I like the person.
2. When I don't know what an ingredient is, ask someone instead of guessing! Who knew that shallots aren't anything close to sugar snap peas (It looked like it would work from the picture in the cook book).
3. Plan on 10 or more extra minutes of prepare time. The cook book writers must have 4 hands!
4. It's not the smartest thing to substitute ingredients that I have never cooked with before. I had a first class disaster when I substituted curry powder instead of using curry paste. NOT the same thing apparently ;)
Pineapple Chicken Curry: one of my favorite meals (recipe from allrecipes.com)

7 comments:

  1. Awesome! That is a great idea, I do that often with soup, I am not the best soup maker, so in the winter I need to do a new kind every week. Problem is there are 3 kinds my kids BEG me to make... I am organizing recipes, we should do some trades (disaster frees trades of course)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jos that is so fun that you are doing that. I love to cook but have been really bad as of late. I like the idea of trying 3 new recipes a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so great! I loved this post. Can't wait to see more of your recipes though...please share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to be awesome! you're my favorite, Jos!
    If you want, there are pretty simple recipes at my friend's website: www.everydaykitchenaid.com, or you can go to my blog list and find a link (it's near the bottom)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little Josie is growing up. I'm so proud! That sounds like a fun experiment-you'll have to share your favorites with me. Plus you should always include lots of Cambry pics even if your post has nothing to do with her!. Much love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your list of things you have learned...especially #1 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jos! Why has it been so long since I have seen you? Have I told you congrats and that little Cambry is so darling? Also, I may have been dreaming but did you send me an email or something over the summer? I just remembered something to that extent the other day and all I know is that I was way out of it this summer with the worst morning sickness ever! Anyway disregard if you never emailed me but if you did we definitely need to chat soon. And I want to see updated pics of your cute babe!

    ReplyDelete