Saturday, November 17, 2012

Miracle Marathon


I ran the Richmond Virginia Marathon last Saturday November 10th.  I trained for the past several months with the goal to qualify for the Boston Marathon (THE marathon of marathons)- finishing with under 3 hours 35 minutes.  I did everything right: gradual distance training, speed training, hill training, ate healthy, carb loaded before, protein loaded after, stayed hydrated, etc.  Did I run it in 3:35?? Not even close.  Actual time? 4:21

Here's why it was a miracle run:
Last Tuesday I woke up thinking I need a root canal immediately!!  However, the excruciating pain in my tooth started expanding to other areas of my face too.  It wasn't constant, the episodes lasted any where from 2 minutes to 20 minutes. By Thursday morning I had sharp, electric-like spasms of pain throughout one half of my face: up to my temple, back to my ear, under my tongue, both top and bottom gums, throughout my jaw, and down my throat (all of this only on the right side of my face).  This pain was so intense and debilitating, I had to stop whatever I was doing and hold on to something until it was over.  I went to the doctor and she announced that I had all the symptoms for Trigeminal Neuralgia, or the suicide disease I later learned was its nick name. She said I should go to the ER for an MRI to make sure I don't have a tumor on my brain that is compressing my trigeminal nerve.... SERIOUSLY?

I decided to wait and get a Priesthood Blessing before I did anything.  Devin and our friend gave me a blessing Thursday night and told me to "Be healed."  I wasn't sure if that meant immediately, in a month, just for my race etc.  I had almost constant pain for 24 more hours.  We drove to Richmond Friday hoping I would be able to run the next morning, but not knowing for sure because there was no way I could run with that awful pain.  Miraculously, it stopped as I went to bed the night before the big race.

When I started my marathon, my body felt like I should be crossing the finish line... at mile one.  Earlier in the week, I realized the pain was triggered by eating and drinking, so I didn't do either as much as I should have the week before a marathon.  I also had a week of terrible sleep with episodes happening several times a night.  There was NOT ONE easy mile in there- when I'm in marathon shape, the first 10 or more are freebies!  I ran with the 3:35 pace setters until the middle of mile 12.  I just couldn't keep up any more I was so exhausted, so I dropped back.  After that, it was slow moving running and walking... but not one episode of face pain. I have never had to dig deeper to finish a race. I learned again that God's alternate routes on my plans are incredible growth opportunities.  I know that my medical emergency and my race happening within a few days of each other is not a coincidence, God had different lessons for me to learn than what I wanted to learn, but I am so grateful to be proof that miracles happen today.

I know if I would've finished with a 3:34:59 time I would've attributed it to all the things "I" did to be able to reach that goal.  Instead, as I plead with God constantly for strength to make it just one more mile, I was so humbled to know that "I am nothing, as to my strength I am weak.  Therefore, I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God.  For in his strength I can do all things" (Alma 26:12). Crossing the finish line was like having a taste of what walking into heaven might feel like.  I just kept thinking- I MADE IT!!  I DID IT!! I know I didn't do that on my own.

I don't know if I'll ever focus so much time training for another marathon. It was an amazing couple of months, and I think my spirit grew more than my body did.  My journal is filled with lessons learned and light bulb moments that happened while I was out for a run. I love running, and until my knees stop working, I'll probably keep doing it, just not with such intensity.

I already feel my energy and focus moving else where. On to the next stage of life!

Here are some pics of the marathon:

All along the course there were these party zones where bands were playing and people cheering.

Devin made this sign to cheer me on.

Neal and McKall were visiting us and watched our kids so that Devin could run the last 2 miles with me. Aren't they fantastic? Also, McKall ran the 8k that morning.

3 comments:

  1. I love your spirituality, you are incredible and I am so well pleased with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that experience. I love how open you are to hearing and doing the Lord's will and always willing for the next step. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, that is such a great experience!! Can't wait to hear about that next step!! Love the photos! I bet it was so nice to have all those party stations! At least in the races that I've run I found the surroundings really made a difference! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete